Just a day after rumblings began to circulate online, Fox has officially announced it’s rescuing the Christian Slater sitcom Breaking In from cancellation, ordering a 13-episode second season that will debut in 2012.
The comedy, which also stars Bret Harrison, Alphonso McAuley, Odette Annable and Michael Rosenbaum, centers on Contra Security, a company that tests its clients’ security systems by breaking into them.
Created by Adam F. Goldberg (Fanboys) and Seth Gordon (Horrible Bosses), the half-hour workplace comedy has a history with the network dating back October 2009, when executives made the initial pilot commitment. The series was officially picked up in November 2010, but didn’t premiere until April 6, 2011, where it served as a midseason replacement following American Idol. Breaking In was canceled in May along with Human Target and a handful of other series, but talk of a reprieve emerged almost immediately.
“Breaking In is a creatively vibrant and wildly adventurous comedy,” Fox’s President of Entertainment Kevin Reilly said in a statement. “We are looking forward to bringing it back for a second season and continuing our relationship with this incredibly talented cast and these fantastic creators — Adam Goldberg and Seth Gordon. We can’t wait to see where they take these characters next year.”
Can it be true? All over the internet there is talk of Breaking in having been ordered for a thirteen part second series if this is true then all of us Rosebuds can cheer because Dutch will return! This is a character written specifically for Michael and allowed him to really spread his comedy wings, the character was much loved and rightly so.
Apparently in recent weeks producers have met with Fox to discuss the show and the direction it will take in the second series. So far no official word from Fox however it is still listed on their schedule site fox.com/showlistings. we keep hearing that it is back so why do they not just admit they made a mistake and give us more seasons of this clever comedy?
What exactly has been going on with Breaking In has been a been a bit murky. FOX cancelled the comedy series in May, only for there to be some speculation it could be revived – which seemed to be more likely when it was recently revealed that the option on the cast had been extended through November 15th, giving FOX a few more months to decide if they wanted new episodes or not.
During a Q&A at the TCA (Television Critics Association) press tour today, I asked FOX’s president, Kevin Reilly, about Breaking In and its current status. Reilly remarked that FOX hopes to have a comedy block made up of four live-action series in the spring. The network has Raising Hope returning this fall, along with new comedies New Girl and I Hate My Teenage Daughter. Reilly also noted they were about to begin production on a second version of the pilot for Little in Common, from Rob Thomas (Veronica Mars, Party Down), which will star Kevin Hart and Rob Corddry.
“I like Breaking In. We all like Breaking In,” said Reilly, adding, “Part of the challenge we had this year was a high class problem. There are shows that we unfortunately had to cut this year that would have made the cut on other networks with bigger challenges. We had to make a judgement call. Breaking In fell a little bit in that camp, but ultimately, we had a very passionate group of producers and actors who wanted to keep it going.”
Reilly went on to say, “I think as part of that four comedy block, [Breaking In] still has a shot. They’ve agreed to extend an option. So we’ve kept it alive. And you know what, stranger things have happened. We’ve not ordered anything right now, but who knows… Family Guy was cancelled once. Seinfeld started with four episodes. You never know. So we’re going to revisit what makes up that four comedy block a little later in the fall and then we’ll officially look at Breaking In.”
This sounds to me to mean that if Raising Hope, New Girl and I Hate My Teenage Daughter were all continuing into the spring, and Little in Common were picked up, Breaking In probably wouldn’t be back, as those four shows could make up a two-hour block. But if any of those fall comedies failed and/or if Little in Common is passed on, well then, the gang at Contra Security might have a chance.
Not mentioned by Reilly was Family Album, the Mike O’Malley project which shot a pilot this spring that was passed on. There had been word that too would be re-tooled and reshot, but Reilly not mentioning it may mean that project is now dead… or he forgot about it!
OK now before I say another word I have to state that there has been no official word from anyone associated with Breaking in or with Fox….
However the other day I saw a link on the SaveBreakingIn facebook page its a link to an official Fox website with information about new listings for the network. If you scroll to the bottom of this page foc.com/showlistings Breaking in is there as a ‘Returning favourite’!
I have tried to wait for official word but I am bursting with excitement at the thought that Fox may well have changed their minds about cancelling this incredible show! Maybe just maybe we will get more seasons of Dutch and the gang keep everything crossed and keep signing those petitions, making your videos, and tweeting with #SaveBreakingIn so they know we want this show to not be cancelled! As soon as we have official word I will of course post it here.
Yes you heard it right the brilliant and funny Breaking in has been cancelled by Fox! They didnt learn from their mistake with Firefly and let this series find it’s feet. Earlier Michael Rosenbaum tweeted this and confirmed the terrible news:
“Breaking In cancelled. Had an amazing time & love my talented pal [writer] Adam F Goldberg. Thanks for support guys. I truly loved this cast. A sad day.”
But you can do something if you are on Twitter follow @SaveBreakingIn and if you are in the US watch the show tonight do not record it or download it and maybe Fox will come to their senses and save our Dutch!
Wonderful news for MR who has been trying to get into writing as well as acting since leaving Smallville as his relationship with Fox gets even better. According to Deadline, the actor has received a blind script commitment from Fox to pen a new project for the network in a joint deal with 20th Century Fox TV, as yet there is not much information but its incredibly exciting! Its a really great time to be a fan of MR right now with Breaking in about to air in the US, Saved by zeroes in the pipeline and now this!
Fox has given a seven-episode order to “Breaking In,” its midseason comedy starring Christian Slater.
Project is seen as a potential companion to “Raising Hope,” in the likelihood that “Running Wilde” (which hasn’t been given a full-season order) doesn’t move forward.
Adam F. Goldberg and Seth Gordon are exec producers, along with Jack Giarraputo, Doug Robinson and Adam Sandler. Sony Pictures TV is the studio, while Happy Madison is on board as a producer.
Besides Slater, “Breaking In” — which centers on a bunch of security experts — also stars Jareb Dauplaise, Jennifer Irwin, Trevor Moore, Michael Rosenbaum, Bret Harrison, Alphonso McAuley and Odette Yustman.
Fox orders episodes of Breaking in
Michael has been announced at a convention in Spain running from the 20th-22nd May 2011 prices run from 40€ for a day pass to 600€ for a full weekend pass with extras.
Thanks to @vivianbloom on Twitter for the information.